Home to the longest serving family of lighthouse keepers in Canada
Our Lighthouse Express shuttle provides service from the Interpretation Centre to the lighthouse.
The Cape Jourimain lighthouse was built in 1869 to help ships navigate the Northumberland Strait. It operated for 127 years, closing in 1997 upon the closure of the Cape Tormentine ferry service and the opening of the Confederation Bridge.
The lighthouse is 15.5 metres tall and is notable for its octagonal design and Victorian ornamentation. Its classic red-and-white colour scheme is typical of other lighthouses from this era.
The first permanent keeper was John Bent, the first of four generations to serve at the lighthouse. It's believed that the Bent's are the longest serving family of lighthouse keepers in Canada.
Moving the Lighthouse
The lighthouse has been moved three times since it was built in 1869 to protect it from an eroding cliff. After the most recent move in 2016, it underwent an extensive renovation. This included replacing the shingles, repainting the exterior, installing new windows and frames, and building a deck.
Use the slider below to compare the lighthouse before and after its renovation.